Skip to main content

Immunization resources for school and childcare entry

Immunization resources

California School Immunization Report

The immunization report is due December 1, 2023!

Schools will be reporting the immunization status of Pre-kindergarten, TK/Kindergarten, and 7th grade. Visit for more information.

There is a new reporting site! The reporting website has moved to the CAIR Hub. You will need to:

  1. register for a CAIR Hub account (SCRL users already have one)
  2. set up a user profile
  3. log in to CAIR Hub to report using the Immunization Reporting application on your dashboard

Instructions for Immunization Assessment

Pre-K | TK/K | 7th

Reporting site

School and Childcare Rooster Lookup (SCRL)

The new School and Childcare Rooster Lookup (SCRL) tool allows school and childcare staff to check if children meet immunization requirements based on records found in the California Immunization Registry (CAIR). It can help determine which students are up to date and can be admitted and which students are overdue. You can register for SCRL at CAIR Hub


All new medical exemptions for school and childcare entry must be issued through the CAIR-ME website. Medical exemptions can only be issued by MDs or DOs licensed in California and must meet applicable criteria.

Existing medical exemptions issued before 2021:

  •  A medical exemption remains valid until the earliest of:
    • When the child enrolls in the next grade span (TK/K-6th grade or 7th-12th grade).
    • The expiration date in a temporary medical exemption.
    • Revocation of the exemption because the issuing physician has been subject to disciplinary action from the physician’s licensing entity.
  • Allows CDPH to revoke exemptions issued in CAIR-ME and parents to appeal the revocation.
  • Prevents physicians from submitting new MEs if they are on probation or have a pending accusation for immunization-related practices or are deemed a public health risk. 

See Medical exemption FAQs

Student immunization records

If a parent or guardian cannot find a student’s immunization record, here are a few places to start: 

  • You can get a digital copy of the immunization record from the Digital Vaccine Record Portal: Request Record

(Note: If the digital vaccine record is not complete, the provider might not have submitted all your child's vaccinations to the California Immunization Registry (CAIR). We recommend contacting the provider to have them submit the record to the registry.)

  • Doctor's office or clinic where shots were given most recently.
  • Schools that the child attended previously.
  • California Immunization Registry (CAIR). Find out if a child's records are included in the immunization registry. 
  • The Travel and Immunization Clinic charges a $5.00 fee for a hard copy of the immunization records. Phone: (408) 792-5200

Immunization record translations

If a parent needs their child’s record translated, please refer them to their doctor or community clinic.

Handouts for parents


Immunization Handbook (Blue Book)

The 12th edition of the California Immunization Handbook reviews school immunization requirements, staff responsibilities, procedures for evaluation, and reporting obligations. Access an electronic version.

Past SCC trainings

CDPH reporting webinars

These recorded webinars demonstrate how school staff and child care facilities will register and login to the new immunization reporting site and submit students' immunization status.​

School personnel 10/4/23

​​​​​Childcare personnel 10/11/23

Become an Immunization Champion for your school!

California Public Health has released free online training for schools to support the implementation of school immunization requirements. These modules will provide important information on school immunization requirements, how to process the records, follow up on conditional entrants, and how to report. Access the modules.

County of Santa Clara Public Health Department Immunization Program

150 W. Tasman Dr. 
1st Floor
San Jose, CA 95134
United States

Phone: (408) 970-2870  
Fax: (408) 947-8752
[email protected]